Strawberries, especially fresh-picked, are one of my favorite things in the world (and not just among foods). All three of the following formulas produce really good results.
Fresh Strawberry Infused Spirit
This will include the most tartness of any of the varieties, and the clearest, lightest result. You can also use frozen, but the end result will be a bit cloudier and these berries readily give up their flavor.
- Vodka or light rum
- Strawberries, sliced in half
- Add strawberries to a jar and cover with vodka by about an inch.
- Shake well and store in a cool, dark place for 10–14 days. The berries will turn ghost white.
- Pour through a metal strainer and refrigerate. Best if used within a few months.
Tip: Fresh, wild strawberries will give the best results. If you are picking your own, include a few leaves for added flavor.
Dried strawberries have little water, and a more concentrated sweetness. This infusion is darker and earthier.
- 3 cups vodka or light rum
- ½ cup dried strawberries
- Add strawberries and spirit to a jar and shake well.
- Store in a cool, dark place for 10–14 days, shaking daily. After 10 days it will be as sweet as it’ll get, but will add more richness as it goes on.
- When it reaches desired intensity, pour through a metal strainer or cheesecloth. Store in a cool, dry place. Will keep at least a year.
Tip: This infusion works well as a flavor shot for milkshakes or just enjoyed straight up and at room temperature.
This infusion is in a lot of ways the best aspects of both the previous. It adds no water, infuses very quickly, and retains a very strong and natural strawberry flavor. It is a bit less tart than using fresh, and the cloudiest of all even if you only shake very gently. The biggest drawback to this is finding freeze-dried strawberries. Trader Joe’s usually carries them.
- 1 cup vodka or light rum
- ½ cup freeze-dried strawberries
- Add all ingredients to a jar and shake gently.
- Store in a cool, dark place for 3 days, gently shaking each day.
- Pour through a metal strainer or cheesecloth and refrigerate. Best if used within 3 months.
Tip: This formula makes for an intensely strawberry flavored result, which works very well with frozen daquiris, mixed with soda water, and other drinks where you want a lot of the fruity flavor in a drink that uses a lot of other ingredients as well.
- Strawberry daquiris
- With soda water or Sprite
- With orange juice
- With lemonade