Be very careful not to get any of the inner white pith in your peels—the zest has a touch of bitterness on its own.
- 2 large grapefruits, preferably ruby red
- 3 cups vodka
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel away the outer zest being careful to not get any of the white pith (see the step-by-step process in the tangerine post). Collect about 3–4 tablespoons worth.
- Combine zest and vodka in a jar and shake well.
- Store in a cool, dark place for 3–5 days, shaking daily. After 3 days give it a taste (you want it to be very aromatic and slightly sweet).
- Pour through a coffee filter and store in a cool, dark place.
Tip: If you want some added sweetness, remove the outer peel from one of the grapefruits, dice up the flesh, and add that to the jar as well.
- On the rocks or neat
- In a kamikaze, lemon drop, cape codder, or cosmopolitan
- With soda water, tonic, ginger ale, Coke, Sprite, or Red Bull
- With orange, cranberry, or apple juice
- 2 cups grapefruit infused vodka
- 1 cup simple syrup
Combine all ingredients, mix well, and allow to rest at least 10 minutes before using. Store in a cool, dark place.
- 1.5 oz grapefruit infused vodka
- .5 oz orange infused vodka
- .5 oz pomegranate syrup
- .5 oz lime juice
- cherry juice
Shake first four ingredients with ice and strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice. Add a splash of cherry juice and garnish with a lime wedge.